News

Cardiac death after cleaning: woman dies as a result of severe chemical poisoning from cleaning agents


Spanish woman cleans the kitchen for two hours: death from ammonia poisoning

A Spanish woman who has been scrubbing her kitchen for two hours has apparently died of ammonia poisoning. Health experts are now pointing out the dangers of chemical cleaning agents. If products containing ammonia are used for cleaning, breaks should always be taken. In addition, the rooms must be well ventilated.

Poisoning from cleaning agents containing ammonia

Hardly anyone likes to clean. Those who avoid cleaning up apparently live healthier lives: last year, a study by the University of Brussels provided evidence that cleaning should be a health hazard for men. And Norwegian scientists reported a few months ago that cleaning can cause lung damage comparable to smoking. A recent case from Spain shows how dangerous some household cleaners can be. There, a woman poisoned herself when cleaning the house with cleaning agents containing ammonia.

Woman suffered a cardiac arrest after cleaning

According to media reports, a 30-year-old woman from Madrid died from cleaning poisoning after scrubbing her kitchen for two hours.

According to the British Daily Mail newspaper, the Spaniard called emergency services from her home on Monday at 3:00 p.m., saying that she had cleaned for two hours and then passed out.

The paramedics hurried to find that the woman had a cardiac arrest. had and tried to revive them for 30 minutes. But in vain: the 30-year-old died.

Ventilate rooms well

"Everything points to poisoning by inhaling ammonia," said a spokesman for the "Agency of Security and Emergencies of Madrid". Ammonia is often found in glass cleaners, oven and toilet cleaners.

As stated in the newspaper article, the substance in higher concentrations can affect a person's eyes, nose and throat and, in extreme cases, cause lung failure, heart failure and brain damage.

However, deaths from contact with household cleaning agents are rare. The chemical is diluted for everyday cleaners, whereas industrial products have a much higher concentration.

Dr. However, Kelly Johnson-Arbor, a medical toxicologist at the National Poison Control Center, pointed out that all cleaning products are harmful and that anyone who does not take breaks can experience severe symptoms.

"The problem is that the symptoms are not always so bad that people can continue cleaning, but this prolonged exposure irritates the lungs," said Dr. Johnson Arbor.

"There are things you can do to minimize the impact, like opening a window." But cleaning is often done in places without good ventilation or in small spaces such as a bathroom, which makes it more complicated.

Therefore, when cleaning, you should always "take breaks and make sure that the room is ventilated if possible."

Do not mix ammonia products with bleach

In addition, it is important not to mix ammonia products with bleaching agents, as this combination can release very toxic chlorine gas.

“Sometimes people use ammonia to clean their toilet bowl for a streak-free shine, and they use bleach to make it look cleaner. It is very dangerous, nobody should ever do it. "

The risk of poisoning is even higher in people with underlying diseases such as asthma.

According to Dr. Johnson-Arbor organic alternatives are not necessarily safe: "The products that do not contain ammonia or bleaching agents probably contain other chemicals to achieve the same effect." So they could also be toxic. (ad)

Author and source information

Video: What Happens When You Drink Too Much Water (August 2020).